PLEASE NOTE : These are the Community Forums (user-to-user), the Hauppauge team try to assist as time allows. Please use the email or telephone support if necessary as their tickets have priority!

+ Reply to Thread

Default Hauppage Capture unable to start device HD PVR2 GE Plus (model 1498)

Today i purchased the HD PVR GE Plus. I have installed the drivers and software from the CDROM which are at version 1.6. The updates available on the Hauppauge website are also 1.6 so i have the most recent files. The Arcsoft Showbiz software will not install despite the fact that during the installation is says it is installing it. After a restart it is nowhere to be found. It was due to this that i found the Hauppauge Capture software so I have downloaded and installed that instead. When i open Hauppauge capture software there is some sort of error message that does not make sense to me. I have attached an image of that. When i close the error message the software appears to carry on anyway. It recognizes the attached device as a HD PVR GE Plus and HDMI is selected as input for video and audio (I am connecting an XBox 360). After a pause of approx 10-15secs i get another message that Capture was unable to start the device. I have followed the instructions it gives as a possible fix but it still does the same thing. Again, i have attached an image. The device itself appears to be working and the passthrough is fine. I can play my XBox as normal.

I hope i have provided enough information. I am aware of how to get the log files for a WinTV product but not HD PVR2 GE Plus.
    Attached Images

Default Re: Hauppage Capture unable to start device HD PVR2 GE Plus (model 1498)

Can you zip and attach your c:\users\public\hauppauge capture\logs\capture.log file?

Default Re: Hauppage Capture unable to start device HD PVR2 GE Plus (model 1498)

I knew i`d miss something out. I am running XP Pro SP3 so i dont have public folder etc. Will it be in Program Files on XP?

I'm not sure on XP. You might have to search your disk for capture.log

Yes found it. On XP it is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Hauppauge Capture\Logs.
    Attached Files

OK so here`s an update on progress. I don't mean to be impatient but i am keen on using the product i just spent a fair bit of cash on, so i have been trying out a few things while i wait to see if someone can figure this out.

One more thing I have just realized. After i get the error messages (shown in the screengrabs posted above) if i then choose the StreamEez tab and click on 'Start Device', the LED`s change colour a couple of times before staying on full green ring and it will show the video feed from my XBox for a few seconds then it goes black again. When quitting the software i get a Windows 'send error report' due to Capture encountering a problem.

So, I have now tried every combination of using drivers and software from the original CDROM, downloading from the Hauppauge website and using just the Hauppage Capture software. Between each try I have used Add/Remove Programs to uninstall everything and run the HcwClear to do a total removal. I have even followed the instruction from the website to power cycle the PVR whilst Windows is rebooting after installation as it may need to update the firmware. This has got me thinking that maybe the PC side of things is now OK but the PVR itself is stuck with corrupt or incorrect firmware. Even with a complete uninstall on the PC, the passthrough function is still working (I can play my XBox through it) whereas when I first plugged it in, the passthrough was not active. I need to get it back to factory settings.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a hard reset on the PVR? Does this sound like a valid cause of the problem?

2013-06-07 17:51:22.953 [DEBUG][3] FindFilterByName failed to locate filter: MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
    Something is broken with your Window install. It's missing Windows components which are normally present, and required by Hauppauge Capture (and probably just about every other video capture application). I don't really have any advice for how to fix this, since it not something you have to install - its always just there.

Maybe try looking for a mpg2splt.ax file on your machine, then run:

regsvr32 c:\path\to\your\mpg2splt.ax

Interesting. I`ll have a look into that and let you guys know what happens.

You are an absolute star!!!!!

I searched for mpg2splt.ax and found it in several locations actually. I think 5, but it was the one in the system32 folder that i ran regsvr on. Hauppauge Capture instantly started working. Not even a need to reinstall the software or drivers or anything. I have had a quick try and recorded some footage and played it back.

I think this thread will be the first to get moved to the 'fixed' sticky!! Yay

Thanks 100 times

Great. Glad it fixed it.

I'm not sure how your Windows install ended up with it de-registered in the first place.