How To: Fix No Signal on TV and Showbiz aka Black Screen issue
Sometimes not everything goes the way we plan when buying a new electrical product. However, if you are getting a black TV and a black preview screen on Arcsoft it just means the PVR 2 is not reading your console. It can be a very simple fix or it can be a little more in depth. Most of the time it's just trial and error as it can be caused by a few things.
Below, I have put together some instructions to help you along. If none of the below have worked, please call Technical Support on the number in my signature. However, we have not had one person come back to us after running through these troubleshooting tips and say "It still doesn't work."
So please make sure you follow the below step by step, even if it seems silly
Step 1 - The Basics
1. Please make sure your TV AND your PC is switched on and the USB from the HD PVR 2 is connected to your PC.
(I know, sounds stupid but you'd be surprised)
2. If you are using the Xbox, please make sure you are connecting the Xbox via HDMI in AND out.
If you are using the Playstation or the Wii, please make sure you are connecting via Component in and HDMI out.
3. Please make sure the correct HDMI setting is selected on your TV's AV settings.
4. Make sure you have the current up to date software and drivers by clicking on this link:
5. Make sure you have the latest graphic card and sound drivers available for your system this is VERY important! You can do this easily by scanning for "new updates" in Device Manager.
Device manager - display adapters - right click on your graphics card - update driver software - scan automatically
Device manager - sound video and game controllers - right click on your sound card - update driver software - scan automatically
6. Please switch the PVR 2 off by unplugging it from the mains. Leave it unplugged whilst you restart your computer AND your console. Once the computer has restarted, plug the PVR 2 back in and turn on your console and load up the Arcosft software.
7. Load Arcsoft software. Click on the capture tab. Under "video input" which is found on the left hand side please select HDMI for the new Xbox and component for the older Xbox with component only connections or Playstation.
8. Please make sure the resolution on your Xbox is set to 1080p or 720p
If you are using a Playstation please make sure your resolution on your console is set to 720p or 1080i.
Step 2 - Troubleshooting the Playstation
Sometimes the Playstation can be a little temperamental. This can mean the PVR cannot read the signal it is outputting so therefore this is why you aren't getting a picture. So we are going to reset your Playstation and see if this helps. Xbox users, please go to the next step.
1. Power off your PS3. Ensure your HDMI cable is removed from your TV. Ensure the PS3 Component Video cable (supplied) is connected into the AV Multi Out of your PS3. Plug the Hauppauge A/V cable set for Component Video into the A/V in connector on the HD PVR 2
2. Your PS3 will now show a Red light to show it is powered off. If it's not powered off, please do so now.
3. Press and HOLD the PS3 power button. The Green LED will come on. Continue to hold the PS3 power button and the Blue LED will also come on. Continue to hold the PS3 power button. Wait 6 - 7 seconds and the Green LED will flash and you will hear a beep. You may now release the PS3 power button
4. Please open Showbiz and click "Capture". From the "Video Input" drop down, please select "Component (YPbPr)" and video will now appear in the capture window and on your TV (if connected)
5. Your playstation will be only set at 576i resolution. You will need to configure it for HD output. So please set it at either 720p or 1080i.
Step 3 - Troubleshooting the Cables
Still not working? No problem! Lets check the cables and see if there's an issue with them.
1. Please connect your console to the TV via the cables you were given WITHOUT the PVR 2 connected.
2. So, if you have a new Xbox, connect the Xbox via the HDMI cable you were given with the PVR 2 directly to the TV and see if you get a picture. Do the same again this time with the OTHER HDMI cable you were given. When testing these HDMI cables please plug them in and try both ends of the cable. It sounds weird, but there is a chance one end of the HDMI might not work when plugged into the console but it will work when the same end is plugged into the PVR 2.
Does a picture show on the TV when you connect via using these cables?
Yes? Well they're working fine Move on to the next step!
No? Was it one of them or both of them? Seems there could be an issue with the cables! Just one last check - please plug your Xbox directly into the TV not using one of our cables (so via the method you connected before you had a HD PVR) or an HDMI that you know works) If it's still not showing a picture, it seems like there's a problem with your console and you should contact Xbox Support If it works when connecting directly with your old cables, it our cables! Never fear, contact us and let us know and we will sort it out for you!
3. If you are connecting via component for Playstation or the older Xbox without HDMI, connect the console via the component cable you were given to the TV and see if you get a picture. Does a picture show on the TV when you connect via using these cables?
Yes? Well they're working fine Move on to the next step!
No? Seems there could be an issue with the cables! Just one last check - please plug your Xbox directly into the TV not using our component cables (so via the method you connected before you had a HD PVR) If it's still not showing a picture, it seems like there's a problem with your console and you should contact their Support If it works when connecting directly with your old cables, it our cables! Never fear, contact us and let us know we will sort it out for you!
Step 4 - Troubleshooting the Drivers
1. Run HCWclear by going into my computer - C drive - Hauppauge - Select the most UP TO DATE driver and then "hcwclear" this will remove all drivers. Then go to control panel - add/remove programs and uninstall Showbiz. Then, restart your PC.
2. Go to Hauppauge.co.uk - Support - HD PVR 2 and re-download the software and drivers. Restart your PC.
3. Please go to your computer's device manager. If you are on Windows 7, device manager is located under start - control panel - hardware and sound - device manager.
Go to "Sound Video and Game Controllers" Is the HD PVR 2 showing up?
Yes? Is there a yellow triangle next to it? Please contact technical support and let them know you have followed the instructions but you still can't seem to get it working. They will be able to narrow it down and help you further!
No? Is it under "Unknown devices," or "Undefined devices?" If it is, right click on the PVR 2 in device manager and manually update the driver by browsing to the drivers folder from Hauppauge which is located on the CD or wherever you saved your download to. If this still doesn't work contact technical support and let them know you have followed the instructions but you still can't seem to get it working. They will be able to narrow it down and help you further!
Last edited by The Loud One; 17-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
If your problem is urgent please CALL support on:
UK (0)203 405 1717
US (+1) 631.434.1600
Germany (+49) 02161 69 488 40
France +33 (0)1 56 26 51 20
Italy (+39) 02 8489 3275
Spain (+34) 93 200 81 07
Scandinavia (+46) 8 51800885
Central and Eastern Europ tel: (+48) 22 323-33-30
New Zealand, Australia & Asia (+65) 62764412