PLEASE NOTE : These are the Community Forums (user-to-user), the Hauppauge team try to assist as time allows. Please use the email or telephone support if necessary as their tickets have priority!

+ Reply to Thread

Default WMC (Win 7 64bit) won't recognise two Nova HD S2 cards

I live near London (UK).

I've just bought a new computer, and installed two Nova HD S2 TV tuner cards in it, that previously ran well under Windows 7 64 bit, after help from Tim Luke of Hauppauge to get BBC HD and BBC Four working again after they changed some time last year.

I want to run the TV from Windows Media Centre, as I did before.

I can't get WMC to recognize both of the cards, and it mis-identifies the one it does detect, which produces sound but no picture in WMC.

I tried originally using the drivers from from the downloaded WinTV CD v2.4d.
    I've also downloaded and run the MCEDVBS2PatchTool (previously found necessary to get BBD HD channels and BBC Four).

I have now downloaded and installed ( apparently successfully) the latest drivers from your website.
    Between attempts, I ran HWclear.exe to start clean each time.

After multiple attempts, the best I can get is that WMC will recognize only one card, and thinks it is a DVB-S, not two DVB-S2 cards. I've told it repeatedly to re-detect the cards, but even after three or four re-detection cycles, it still only sees one, DVB-S card.

When I at last tried going ahead with just one, mis-recognised card (with the second card still installed), I could select some standard definition Freesat channels from the WMC Guide, but with no picture, just sound. There's no signal at all on channel 107, which should be BBC4 according to the guide, but may be on a higher channel number around 1260 from previous experience (I didn't bother to look).

The processor is Intel i5-2500K quad-core, 8GB memory, nVidia GeForce GT 430 graphics card, SSD C: drive, and 1TB hard disk D: drive. It's running on an Asus P8z68 V Gen3 motherboard.

I've run all Windows updates, and have the latest drivers for the graphics card as far as I am aware (it came preinstalled). Windows reports the driver as nVidia v8.17.12.8562 dated 15/10/2011, which should be recent enough even if not absolutely the latest.

What can I try next to get this to work?

[I haven't tried it with WinTV, which I don't want to use, and if possible, don't want to install - but I can try that to see if it works with your own viewing software.] These cards both USED to work with the same version of Windows Media Centre and Windows, on my older computer.

Thanks if you can help again.

John McClenahan

Default Re: WMC (Win 7 64bit) won't recognise two Nova HD S2 cards

Have you tried just one card? Can you get that working successfully? Then I'd try adding the second card.

It could be down to how your new PC motherboard allocates hardware resources.

You then need to 'reset' your WMC to make sure it starts the tuner detection afresh.
    I don't work for Hauppauge - I just use their products: Nova-HD-S2

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

J

I've tried removing one card, and rerunning WMC setup. Same result - WMC thinks it has found 1 DVB-S Tuner. When I try to watch TV, I get sound only, no picture.

I've run HWClear.exe and started over again, having moved the (one) TV card into the only other PCI slot it will fit into, in case there's a problem with interrupt assignments.

Installed the drivers from the WinTV 2.4d setup disk by running HcwDriverInstall.exe. This reports that the hardware was correctly detected as Nova HD S2 (DVB-S2) and the drivers were successfully installed.

I re-ran WMC TV setup. Downloaded the correct TV settings, and carry on to the point where WMC checks the TV signal. It STILL sees only one card, wrongly detects it as DVB-S, and still produces only sound, no picture.

Same result - WMC detects only DVB-S tuner.

Try yet again, this time resetting WMC using Windows Media Centre Setup, and telling it to start all over again, which I understand should remove all previous settings and start clean.

STILL the SAME RESULT - only detects DVB-S tuner.

This card (indeed, two of them) USED to work on my old computer.

What else can I try? Is there no way of telling WMC directly what the tuner is?

What if any logs can I attach to help diagnose where the problem is occurring, and perhaps give someone a clue how I can fix it?

Should I try to install WinTV 7 to see if that will at least work to produce TV on the computer?

John McC

Well, I've now tried installing WinTV7. That correctly detects the DVB-S2 card, and works to produce a picture and sound. I'm getting HD pictures too at least on BBC HD and BBC One HD.

Will try again to see if this will allow WMC to find the tuner properly.

No difference. Still finds DVB-S only, and produces no picture.

I'm stumped. HOW can I get it to work properly with WMC, which is what I want?

Well, I looked again recently at the Hauppauge site, and for the first time saw that there is a later CD driver download than I had previously seen - v2.5. The latest I could find the last time I tried some weeks ago was v2.4d.

At last, I now get a picture and sound on most but not all channels. WMC reports BBC Four in the Channel guide on 107, but there is no signal on that channel. BBC HD is on 108 (my TVs both have this on 109) and instead of BBC One HD, I get a standard definition S4C on 109.

Searching through higher channel numbers where I previously found BBC Four on channel 1256 or thereabouts, I can find no mention of it, nor can I find BBC One HD anywhere in the guide.

Am trying a retune, and will see if that produces any further results.

JMcC

Did you download and run the new MCEDVBS2PatchTool ?
    I don't work for Hauppauge - I just use their products: Nova-HD-S2

Yes, I did run the patch tool, but I'm not sure if it was the very latest one - I used one I downloaded some weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder - I'll see if the new one makes any further difference.

I had first used the selection of Freesat channels only for the Astra/Eurobird satellites. I re-ran the WMC TV Signal setup to search for new channels, and it found the main ones I had been missing, including BBC4 and BBC One HD.

Still put BBC4 on the wrong channel initially, and had BBC One HD and BBC HD channel assignments reversed from the numbering on both my TVs, but that was easy to fix.

John McC