PLEASE NOTE : These are the Community Forums (user-to-user), the Hauppauge team try to assist as time allows. Please use the email or telephone support if necessary as their tickets have priority!

+ Reply to Thread

Default HD PVR Gaming Edition Problem

I just got my new PVR today and set it up. I have a Mac so I use EyeTV 3.5 to record the gameplay from my Xbox to my computer. However, it records much brighter than my actual screen. Example below, my question is this brightness an issue with my PVR or EyeTV. If you could help at all it would be appreciated thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDRr7LXXt8

Default Re: HD PVR Gaming Edition Problem

Damn mate... I think I'm going to unwrap my xmas pressie early to check I don't have the same problem.

Oh one thing... are you using the cables included in the box? I did hear the gaming cables aren't brilliant and that the real Xbox cables are better (or was that the PS3 cables... can't remember).

I'll try it out this afternoon and get back to you.

Well this afternoon I tried it out... I have the normal (ie not gaming) because I have the cables I needed anyway.

I found your problem and it's easily fixed... took me a while because I had to configure my monitor so that it showed other peoples videos correctly to give me a proper baseline to work from (first attempt I made my videos WAYYYY too dark). So once you can watch other gamers vids (the decent ones) right all you have to do is kick up TME and the capture screen has two buttons towards the top that allows you to set the video capture brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness. On my system the rest were greyed out. But getting the top two right are the main things. You just have to get the cap screen to show images that match the youtube images for brightness and contrast. Ironically on my system the default settings work fine but yours might need the brightness knocked down a few points.

Hope that helps.

Oh here is my test video btw... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9y4t63viE

Oh yeah... It's 4:39am so my brain cells aren't working so well.. You might have to find the same screen brightness/contrast/etc things in your capture program. If not you can probably set them up in TME and then go and use your other program. I think your problem is that your screen isn't set to match other videos correctly (which was why when I set my vids to look right originally they were too dark). In fact the way I did it was to use the default settings and then made the PC screen look like the pass thru image on my TV. Kind of cheating but it worked.

1. Set the settings to default in TME and record.
    2. If it looks wrong on your screen but looks right in YouTube on another computer you need to reset your mac's screen settings to match.

The big problem is that I don't have a mac so I can't duplicate your environment. Never needed a mac before now. I do know that the PC I was going to use for the editing is gonna need some work... I found I could play back MP4 but AVCHD was choppy. On a little dual core nettop which SHOULDN'T be able to play back AVCHD it played it perfectly. In fact that nettop and Windows Movie Maker is what I used to edit the video and add the simple titles. Go figure. Nettop beats 4GHz i5 PC with 4GB RAM and 1GB video card. It might be the extra video card in there that is messing things up though. Only just thought of that.

Can you guys let me know your thoughts on this?
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/forum/sho...76-HD-PVR-Help