PLEASE NOTE : These are the Community Forums (user-to-user), the Hauppauge team try to assist as time allows. Please use the email or telephone support if necessary as their tickets have priority!

+ Reply to Thread

Post Picture freeze on channel change

I have a cable box connected via composite to my HVR-1950. The channels are changed with the IR Blaster. When I change channels either using the keyboard or by selecting from the list, the picture often freezes. Sometimes it begins working again after a minute or so, but more often I have to restart WinTV. The controls remain responsive and I can change channels. The IR Blaster successfully changes the channel on the STB, but the image remains frozen.

Using GeForce 260 with the driver v.260.89 WHQL for Vista x64 and WinTV 7 2.2b v.2.0.28287. Also, might be relevant that I have an SB Audigy (the first one), though I don't think it matters in this case.

I tried changing renderers (normally using EVR) and turning off hardware acceleration, but to no avail. Disabling antivirus, shutting down non-essential programs, praying... nothing seems to help.

There are no issues with this system during everyday computing or while playing games, and the issues came with WinTV 2.2. I don't remember them from 2.1.

My question is whether anyone else has experienced anything similar. I need to rule out or confirm that this is a problem with my system configuration so I don't needlessly reinstall and reconfigure a bunch of software. If someone else has this, then I might collect some logs and report this as a bug in WinTV.

Default Re: Picture freeze on channel change

I've had the same problems with channel switching in Vista64 but this may be a workaround. Let me know how it works for you. My symptoms would be that the graph would screw up and not be rebuilt correctly I'm assuming. This results in a "no signal" even though my antenna was pointed directly at the station. It would just lock up when I moved the antenna and the video froze. Usually a reboot would fix it, but...this is a better solution so far for me.

Open the Digital Signal Quality meter (was an addon on my 1800 HVR). Before you change the channel adjust the slider to the "slowest" postion, or to the far right. Close the program. Change the channel and rotate your antenna to optimize the signal. Open the viewer then channel manager and the channel and should pop right in.

This is a workaround, but it's much quicker and easier than a reboot. This also works..(moving the slider to the right and then back to about a quarter of the slider range from the left if your video starts "stuttering" but still displays

Let me know if it works as it's a work in progress for me to get this thing working right.

Spencer
    Last edited by BigBoyDale; 25-10-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks for the reply, BigBoyDale. Unfortunately, your workaround steps won't work for me because I'm not using the digital portion of the device. If you look at my OP, you'll see that I'm connecting using the composite input. The digital signal quality monitor has nothing to work with.

Your mention of graph not correctly rebuilding gave me an idea though. I'm going to try to enable "3rd party decoders" and see if that makes a difference. I always assumed that they worked if they worked, but it didn't occur to me that they could have trouble re-initializing when the graph is rebuilt.

Well I was having the same problem on an ATI Wonder card. Would not change easily to the composite. Worked and worked with it, including figuring out I could click to composite 2 video (which doesn't really exist) and then back to one, then restart the app.

The antenna was even worse with it locking up anytime antenna was turned on any program and on any card, using WinTv, Sage, Beyond, Media Portal..and getting nada from DVBViewer.

Want to know how to make problems ( or for me anyway) totally disappear?

I created a dual boot with XP32 and loaded the programs on XP. Guess what (surprise, surprise)..everything works great in XP. I'm sick of Vista64 driver compatibility..etc. It's a good system, but it's so hard , or nearly impossble to make anything work "out of the box". If you want to do this dual boot, you need to read up on it since bootmgr in Vista will get removed on an XP install. Let me know and I'll send info.

Well, it would seem that our problems are actually quite a bit different then. Thanks for trying though.

OT:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyDale View Post
    [...]Want to know how to make problems ( or for me anyway) totally disappear?

I created a dual boot with XP32 and loaded the programs on XP. Guess what (surprise, surprise)..everything works great in XP. I'm sick of Vista64 driver compatibility..etc. It's a good system, but it's so hard , or nearly impossible to make anything work "out of the box".[...]
    Funny you should say that. If I didn't have Vista x64 on this system pre-installed, I'd be able to just use FireSTB drivers to connect to my STB using firewire. Much better PQ than using the composite input on the HVR, I believe. I just don't really like the idea of having a dual-boot system just for the sake of watching or recording TV. I like to multitask, and so the 32-bit system would have to become my primary workhorse. Which would eventually make the 64-bit OS useless to me. Which is something I don't want to happen. (Oh, and if I decide to go the multiboot route, I'd probably also want a Linux on the same system, adding to the headaches. I prefer to multiboot with GRUB as opposed to NT Boot Loader)

An update for anyone who may have been following. I've tried with no codecs other than video, and used a couple of different video codecs. No luck. Since nobody else seems to have this problem, I guess the problem is with my system/software configuration somewhere.

Even though my composite seems to be fixed, I'm having a fit with OTA broadcasts. Am writing a new post about it.

Charlotte NC USA

Quote Originally Posted by AnnularVoid View Post
    An update for anyone who may have been following. I've tried with no codecs other than video, and used a couple of different video codecs. No luck. Since nobody else seems to have this problem, I guess the problem is with my system/software configuration somewhere.
    I have a similiar problem since I upgraded the OS from XP Pro SP3 32Bit to W7 Ultimate 32Bit.

I have a Nova-S-Plus, HVR-3000, HVR-2200, WinTV-CI installed on a AMD X2 5050e, 4GB DDR800, XFX HD5670 based system.

I'm using DVBViewer 4.6 with the WinTV IR remote program and customized remote plugin for DVBViewer.

Occassionally when I change channel the picture freezes and DVBViewer becomes unresponsive. This only happens when I use the remote to change channels. All was fine in XP.

Tim
    New Zealand

The issue seems to have been solved with WinTV 7.0.29160 CD v2.3g, and I can now surf channels without the picture locking up. Thanks.

great! There was an updated driver for the HVR-1900 in there.
    Click here to see how to capture the right logs files for your problem for WinTV v7. You MUST attach logs files for us to effectively help you.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?22310

This forum is User -> User support only. It is a supplement to Phone/E-mail Support. This forum is not monitored by Hauppauge Technical Support. If you require official Technical Support / Customer Service / Pre-Sales please CALL on 020 3405 1717 (UK) or if you are not located in the UK contact numbers are here:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/contact/contact_us.html or e-mail: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/supp...upcontact.html

Keep up to date with Hauppauge news online