PDA

View Full Version : TS2PS.EXE "Cannot identify video stream" but WinTV can play file OK. Huh?

BoMoon
07-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

This gets a little complicated, but the gist of my questions are in the first few paragraphs.

I recorded a TS file using the component video/analog audio inputs. WinTV 2.6d can play the video and the audio is in synch. Unfortunately the video quality is terrible. Essentially the video looks like it's out of focus.

Fortunately I can also play the video in Windows Media Player. The quality is much better - sharp, in focus, audio in sync.

I would like to record this file to a DVD or BluRay. Unfortunately I have yet to find video editor software that can read that TS file. So I tried TS2PS.exe to convert the TS file to an MPEG-2 file.

When I did this, TS2PS issued a lot of hex garbage, followed by these messages:

Connecting mutliplexer
Connecting multiplexer streams....
Unable to identify video stream

Huh?

My questions are:

1. If WinTV7 2.6d can play back the file, why can't TS2PS.EXE identify the video stream? Both programs are part of the same software package. Why should TS2PS.EXE fail to process a video file created by another program in the same package?

2. Why does Windows Media Player produce better video playback quality than WinTV7 2.6d, the program that actually captured the file? This one really baffles me. I enabled the 3rd party decoding programs in WinTV's Settings | Advanced Options tab and used the default files provided by WinTV. Yet it's as though WinTV's capture encoding and default playback decoding aren't compatible. The playback decoding just isn't as good as whatever Windows Media Player is using.

3. I want to get this TS file into some kind of video editor so I can cut a DVD or BluRay with it. I've tried various programs and demuxers (details below) with no success. What can I use to edit this file?

Sony Vegas Pro 12 x64 - can open the TS file, but can't import it to the timeline.

TSMuxer - using "Demux" with default options, this produces an H264 video file that Vegas also fails to import to the timeline. However the separate AAC audio file can be placed on the Vegas timeline. Without video, though, I can't do anything with it.

VideoReDo TV Suite V4 - Produces MP4 files with about a fourth the bitrate of the source file (20Mbps VBR -> 5Mbps VBR. I haven't been able to force the program to retain the high bitrate of the source as much as possible. Needless to say, the MP4 result looks like crap - lots of pixelation and motion artifacts.
Information: here are PC, OS, and application versions, along with a MediaInfo report on the source TS file.

PC: Dell XPS 8500 i7 3.0 GHz, about 1TB of free HDD space
Sony Vegas Pro: 12 x64
TSMuxer: 1.10.6
VideoRedo TV Suite: 4

MediaInfo report on Video01.TS

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : C:\DVD\Video01.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 4.21 GiB
Duration : 28mn 55s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 20.9 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 21.8 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Codec ID : 27
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -434ms

Thanks for your time reading this long message,
Alan Mintaka

NeedsMoreSleep
07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I would like to record this file to a DVD or BluRay. Unfortunately I have yet to find video editor software that can read that TS file. So I tried TS2PS.exe to convert the TS file to an MPEG-2 file.

When I did this, TS2PS issued a lot of hex garbage, followed by these messages:

Connecting mutliplexer
Connecting multiplexer streams....
Unable to identify video stream

Huh?

My questions are:

1. If WinTV7 2.6d can play back the file, why can't TS2PS.EXE identify the video stream? Both programs are part of the same software package. Why should TS2PS.EXE fail to process a video file created by another program in the same package?TS2PS.exe is used for remuxing MPEG-2 .ts files to MPEG-2 .mpg files. If I'm not mistaken, you're using a Colossus or HDPVR, which generate H.264 not MPEG-2, so this utility wont be of any use you. This utility doesn't convert H.264 to MPEG-2.

2. Why does Windows Media Player produce better video playback quality than WinTV7 2.6d, the program that actually captured the file? This one really baffles me. I enabled the 3rd party decoding programs in WinTV's Settings | Advanced Options tab and used the default files provided by WinTV. Yet it's as though WinTV's capture encoding and default playback decoding aren't compatible. The playback decoding just isn't as good as whatever Windows Media Player is using.Most people get pretty good results with the ArcSoft video decoder that WinTV uses for H.264 playback. Mileage will vary though, depending on videocard and it's driver, operating system, video render etc. It's nearly impossible to provide a one-size-fits-all-to-give-perfect-video that suits every system.

You can always configure WinTV to use a different video decoder or video renderer though, if you feel other video decoders/renderers used by other apps give better results on your system.

BoMoon
07-03-2013, 10:34 PM
TS2PS.exe is used for remuxing MPEG-2 .ts files to MPEG-2 .mpg files. If I'm not mistaken, you're using a Colossus or HDPVR, which generate H.264 not MPEG-2, so this utility wont be of any use you. This utility doesn't convert H.264 to MPEG-2.

Point taken, thanks. As usual I wasn't thinking. It does make me wonder why Hauppauge still packages TS2PS.EXE with the other software for the Colossus.

Most people get pretty good results with the ArcSoft video decoder that WinTV uses for H.264 playback. Mileage will vary though, depending on videocard and it's driver, operating system, video render etc. It's nearly impossible to provide a one-size-fits-all-to-give-perfect-video that suits every system.

You can always configure WinTV to use a different video decoder or video renderer though, if you feel other video decoders/renderers used by other apps give better results on your system.

Yeah, I definitely need to play with those decoders if I can. I also have the Arcsoft bundle that comes with the Colossus installed on this PC, and the "Arcsoft Video Decoder" is selected in WinTV as the H264 video playback decoder. I have to do a little homework to find out if this decoder is really the latest version from Arcsoft - it may be that the bundled Colossus version is older than their current commercial release. Who knows. Plus there are other decoders shown in the combo box that I have yet to try. As it stands though, that Arcsoft Video Decoder stinks in comparison to Windows Media Player's decoder (whatever that is).

In the meantime, I've gotten fair results with Nero 11 HD "Platinum". At least the output is better than what I got from VideoRedo TV Suite 4. Nero was able to read and edit the TS file captured by the Colossus with no problems, and exported an MP4 file with video and audio that preserved the TS file's bitrates. The MP4 file could in turn be read by Sony Vegas Pro 11 x64. As far as the editor's preview goes, it looks OK.

What I don't like about the process is that there's an extra encoding step between the captured PS file and something I can use in DVD Architect. I still have to use Sony Vegas to create an AVC formatted video and AC3 formatted audio that DVD Architext won't have to re-compress before burning them to a DVD or BluRay.

Lotsa hair pulling and I don't have much left to lose. I suppose the good news is the way Nero 11 manages to preserve the high bitrates in the MP4 output, whereas VideoRedo just can't do it.

Per your suggestion I'm going to split the task into trying to tweak Nero as much as possible for optimum results, and explore other video decoders besides the current version of this Arcsoft H264 decoder to see if I can at least get playback results in WinTV that are as good as those in Windows Media Player.

Bottom line: I'm disappointed that the TS files captured by the Colossus are so difficult to work with. Both Hauppauge and Sony need to do a better job handling those files. In the case of the big-money Sony suite of the Vegas editor and DVD Architect authoring program, it's especially frustrating that they can't deal with files that Nero 11 can. What's the problem?

That's another digression from this forum. Thanks for the tips about TS2PS.EXE and the video decoders in WinTV.

RE your forum name, "NeedsMoreSleep": You and me both.

Have a good one,

NeedsMoreSleep
07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Point taken, thanks. As usual I wasn't thinking. It does make me wonder why Hauppauge still packages TS2PS.EXE with the other software for the Colossus. TS2PS.exe is packaged with WinTV for people that using old analog tuners that prefer to have .mpg files.

It's not intended that users will manually run this utility themselves. It's only run by WinTV if the user has ticked the 'Auto Convert MPEG-2 .ts recordings to .mpg' checkbox in the Advanced Settings screen. This setting is hidden for HDPVR and Colossus users.

NeedsMoreSleep
07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Bottom line: I'm disappointed that the TS files captured by the Colossus are so difficult to work with. Both Hauppauge and Sony need to do a better job handling those files. In the case of the big-money Sony suite of the Vegas editor and DVD Architect authoring program, it's especially frustrating that they can't deal with files that Nero 11 can. What's the problem?The TS files produced by the Colossus are just standard transport stream files. Pretty much everything produces TS files these days, since this is the standard used by digital television, and is one of the few container formats that can be played while still recording (allowing for pausing/skipping/etc). The Hauppauge software works well with them. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Vegas and other video editors add better support for these types of file.

BoMoon
13-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Pretty much everything produces TS files these days, since this is the standard used by digital television
The Hauppauge software works well with them. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Vegas and other video editors add better support for these types of file.

Hi NeedsMoreSleep,

I've gotten Sony Vegas Pro 12 x64 to import TS files captured by the Colossus, but only the video track is recognized. I still have to use either the AVS Video Converter 8 (with an audio export profile) or the AnyAudioConverter to extract the AAC audio from those TS files and convert it to FLAC.

Much trial and error has determined that the FLAC audio works best in Sony Vegas. It's not in sync with the TS video by a few seconds, but fortunately it's a constant offset. Using Vegas to trim a few seconds off the beginning of the FLAC audio track and moving the remaining track to the 0:00:00 position fixes the sync problem throughout the video. It is a little tricky trimming just the right amount of audio from the beginning of the track - that's where CTRL-Z (undo) comes in handy to correct errors and fine-tune the output.

Still, it's ludicrous that a high-end program like Sony Vegas Pro 12 x64 has to be spoon-fed this way. What's the problem with AAC audio that keeps Vegas from recognizing those tracks?

It's all random trial and error. If Vegas wasn't such a great program when it does work, I think I'd trash it and start over. Unfortunately money is an issue these days too. I just can't afford to re-invent my video editing and authoring software.

I'm going to start buying powerball tickets again. With all of the near-misses by asteroids these days, I figure that fringe probabilities are somehow getting some response.

Of course, I'll probably be struck by lightning instead. It's just one more fringe.

Thanks again for your pointers,
Alan Mintaka

NeedsMoreSleep
14-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Still, it's ludicrous that a high-end program like Sony Vegas Pro 12 x64 has to be spoon-fed this way. What's the problem with AAC audio that keeps Vegas from recognizing those tracks?Nothing's wrong with the AAC audio. Vegas just doesn't seem to be very good at handling AAC.